Leeds Met works in partnership with Festival Republic, providing brilliant opportunities for students, staff and alumni to volunteer at Latitude and Leeds festivals.


Find out more about this partnership and others on the Leeds Met website.


Over 200 Leeds Met volunteers went to Latitude and Leeds festivals last summer. Read about their adventures below.



Wednesday 15 July 2009

The story so far...

I'm sitting in the campsite listening to the sound of tents flapping in the wind and water bottles being squeezed. This time yesterday we arrived at Latitude Festival with over 70 students and staff, with the intention of learning, entertaining and, most importantly, laughing! 

It's been a busy lead up to Latitude Festival for me, with a Leeds Met open day last Friday and Faculty of Arts & Society graduations on Monday. I talked to prospective students about our festival volunteering opportunities and used these as an example of how Leeds Met offers more than just a degree. I then congratulated and interviewed graduates who have already taken up these opportunities.

Yesterday I was on one of the two coach loads of volunteers from Leeds to Latitude. Everyone was eager and excited, and I brought them fresh British strawberries as a welcome to the festival season. After getting settled in, which involved me helping to set up lots of tents, we had a BBQ round the campfire. This morning I took the stage crew, film crew and BBC runners on a tour of the site, and after lunch I observed the Flamboyant HATs workshop. Their ideas included performing everything from an imaginary swimming pool to a human fruit machine, spontaneous mass crowd drumming and tea leaf reading. 

Tomorrow evening, after three days with the Leeds Met crew, I start my work as Woods Zone Manager for Festival Republic. I look forward to seeing the popular pink t-shirted Leeds Met volunteers all around the festival.

Gavin Freeborn
Cultural Partnerships Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment